Plans are in place to transform Poole Museum into a modern, thriving cultural space and community hub. The transformed museum will greatly enrich the experience of Poole Quay and Old Town.
Find out more about the project here
Poole Museum and Scaplen’s Court will close from 31st October 2022 through to Spring/Summer 2024 due to our redevelopment project. Our current onsite school workshop programme will therefore be on hold from September 2022. We will be bringing the Museum out on the Move to a location near you – or even to your school! Please keep an eye on our website for more information or contact email@example.com for details of our free outreach offer.
This exciting redevelopment project is called Our Museum: Rediscovering Poole’s Maritime Heritage. The transformation brings amazing new learning opportunities for schools.
We are creating three brand new maritime galleries - Harbour Life, Shipwreck! and Setting Sail! These new galleries will be object rich and include lots of hands-on experiences that meet a broad range of learning needs.
Our new gallery sessions will be unique, authentic, immersive learning experiences which continue curriculum teaching.
This project means we will:
- Create brand new primary school workshops linking in with the themes of the new galleries
- Involve local teachers in the shaping of the offer to make sure it is attractive for schools and delivers on curriculum outcomes effectively
- Work with partner Special Schools to develop a new SEND offer
- Develop regular, structured work experience and placement opportunities
- Work with education partners to promote opportunities for young people to develop skills and enhance employability through work experience and volunteering
- Develop creative opportunities for young people to take part in to enhance the new museum
- Develop improved booking systems and before and after session materials